Focus Scripture: Ephesians 4:16: “From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.”
Being a part of a body of people with varying personalities, issues, and needs can be challenging. Unfortunately, there are times when confusion, disorder, and strife may raise their ugly heads—even in the church. However, trying to be a lone ranger Christian is not the solution. Jesus’ earnest pray for His disciples and those who would follow thereafter was that they would join together in unity (John 17:21-22). He knew that the key to ultimate success in the body of Christ was a bond of harmony that was unbreakable.
Unity Strengthens us and Generates Growth
When we join up with others in the body of Christ, not only physically but in purpose, we are strengthened spiritually and emotionally as we:
- Are encouraged by others through fellowship
- Share with and encourage other members of the faith
- Form lasting friendships with like-minded people in the body of Christ
- Bear one another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2).
- Pray and study the Word of God with other believers.
- Learn from the experiences and testimonies of others who overcame their life challenges.
- Have the opportunity to share our gifts and talents for the benefit of others and the body of Christ.
- Get involved in ministries and serve.
Unity Preserves Our Faith
Throughout history, most wars have been won when those in battle were totally united. On the other hand, great armies have been defeated because they broke ranks.The same goes for the church and Christians.
- Unity in the body of Christ allows for more effective ministry.
- The Enemy cannot penetrate our strong bond of love and peace to destroy us.
- When we are united in prayer and purpose, we invite the presence of God (Acts 2:1-2).
- When God is present, we have more power to fight the Enemy and destroy the powers of Satan.
- We are focused on our purpose and calling as Christians
- Our faith becomes stronger when we have the support of our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Unity Glorifies God
Jesus pointed out in John 17:21-22, why He wanted His disciples to love one another and be as one. He said: “Then the world will believe that you sent me.”
- There is no greater testimony of God’s presence in us than genuine love, peace, and unity..
- In a world filled with chaos and confusion, the last thing people want is to be a part of a body that is filled with strife.
- The light of love that shines through us causing us to share, show compassion, empathize, carry each other’s burdens and take care of each other speaks volumes.
- When the world sees this, they know that something is different.
- Our characters, behaviors, and lifestyles point to the transforming power of Jesus Christ.
- They are inspired to seek God
- God is glorified, not us.
Unity in the body of Christ is the foundation of our success individually and collectively. As we come together, our actions are to be driven by our love for each other and God. He has called us for a purpose. Not to build our own private spiritual or physical dynasties, but to establish the kingdom of God so that men will come to know Him and experience His love.
Pray for the unity of the body of Christ
Examine your own life and see what you can do to create a harmony and peace with Christians around you for the glory of God.