Focus Scripture: Romans 13:13, 14 – “Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.”
- Is your desire to honor God in all things?
- Is your appearance such that it honors God?
- Do others see Christ in the way you are dressed or do they see worldliness?
As Christians We Should Embrace Who We Are.
- 1 Timothy 6:11 – “But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.”
- We represent Christ. We are His ambassadors.
- We should pursue godliness in all areas of life including our appearance
- 1 Samuel 16:7 “ … for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on theheart.”
- This scripture might seem to suggest appearance does not matter at all, as God is more concerned with the heart, However, it does remind us that man looks on the outward appearance, therefore we should dress with that in mind.
- 2 Corinthians 3:2 “Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men::
Dress for Success as a Christian
- Romans 8:5 – “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.”
- The way we dress makes more than a fashion statement.
- Our appearance should be pleasing to God.
- We should not exude pride, worldliness or fleshliness.
- What kind of messages do these types of clothing send to others:
- Lewd images on shirts, or promoting a worldly message
- Low sagging pants or shorts
- Very tight clothing, i.e. dresses, skirt, jeans, muscle shirt
- Low-cut shirts or open buttons
- Extremely flashy clothing and accessories
Keep Eternal Life in Focus
- 1Timothy 6:12 – “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.”
- If we do things to please others, we may not be pleasing to God.
- We should aim to please God in all things including our appearance.
- Doing what is “popular” or following the crowd may lead us down the wrong path.
Action: Dress for Success
- Dress for the job you want not the one you have. Dress as the kind of person you want to be.
- Start with the end in mind – what is your goal?
- Are you seeking employment – dress as a professional.
- Are you participating in sports? – dress comfortably but modestly.
- Are you going out to dinner – dress appropriately.
- Church clothes should example modesty, and dignity